- Joshi teaches Orff workshops for educators, parents and kids. For upcoming workshops please see “events,” or to book a workshop, please contact Joshi.
- Joshi teaches regular family jazz workshops with Doug Goodin at SF JAZZ Center. For upcoming SF JAZZ workshops please visit, www.sfjazz.org, or go to “events.”
- Joshi and his colleague, Sam Heminger, co-teach Orff-Schulwerk workshops for educators. Watch a segment of their “From Jump Rope to Jazz” workshop from the 2015 National American Orff-Schulwerk Association Professional Conference in San Diego, CA.
Joshi is a founding member of the Pentatonics Jazz Band.
Pentatonics Jazz Band
For booking information, contact Doug Goodkin at: Goodkindg@nullaol.com 415-564-1597
Who we are:
In addition to being professional jazz musicians, we are music teachers dedicated to the Orff approach in music education. We all work with preschool, elementary and middle school children in school music programs. We are highly trained and experienced in the art of making music accessible and inclusive for children as young as 3 and adults as old as 103. We are dedicated to bringing quality jazz performance and education to people of all ages.
High-quality music accessible to kids and adults with multiple strategies for audience involvement and participation. Amongst them:• Call and response songs with audience participation.
• Volunteers playing pentatonic blues xylophone solos backed by the band.
• Small group pieces using voice, body percussion and Orff instruments.
• Vocal blues created from suggestions by audience.
• Children’s songs played in jazz style.
• History of jazz in lecture-demonstration format.
Doug Goodkin—piano Joshi Marshall—sax